Discovery drives purchase behavior on TikTok, where shoppers find a constant stream of fun try-on videos, shopping hauls, novel challenges, and the latest trends.
Brands can foster a new level of love with meaningful content on TikTok. From videos by creators to spontaneous posts by your fans, TikTok’s fashion-friendly format can make your message resonate with the larger shopping community. Whether the content is focused on a product or an experience, it will make the greatest impact when it’s relatable, engaging, and inspiring—and most of all, entertaining.
Product-focused videos hype up your products and demonstrate their value in exhilarating ways:
- ⭐️ Must-haves & customer reviews: TikTokers reveal the reasons why they just can’t live without your product.
- 🛍 Unboxing & hauls: Shoppers flaunt their recent purchases and spark Christmas morning-style excitement for everybody who watches the video.
- 🎟 Deals & promos: Users share their smartest tips for stretching your fashion budget—and looking good doing it.
- 👗 Product styling: TikTokers demonstrate the different ways to wear or use a product while adding personal style.
Experience-focused videos highlight the diverse experiences behind your brand, from game-inspired shopping challenges to makeovers and behind-the-scenes action. Here are some tried-and-true formats popular on TikTok:
- 🎬 Outfit transformations and styling: This genre of videos show how to turn basic clothing items into unique, customized looks with accessories, cute pairings, plus the right shoes, makeup, and hair.
- ♻️ #ThriftChallenge:TikTokers share clever ways to upcycle products, find new ways to use them, or DIY them into something else entirely. They may show you how to turn a tee-shirt into a tank top or how to create a pair of shorts from a hoodie.
- 👨👧 #ClothesSwap:Two users switch multiple outfits, often with funny and ill-fitting results due to their different body sizes or genders. But sometimes the opposite is true: The clothes look great on both TikTokers despite their physical differences—or maybe the swappers look so similar, they could be siblings. As with everything on TikTok, variety rules and creativity is king.
- 👠 #ShoeFlip:One example of several popular outfit transition challenges, in which the user tosses a shoe up in the air or spins it on the ground, and then transitions to catch the shoe on their foot wearing a totally different outfit or look. Endlessly satisfying to watch when synced to the right music, this challenge exploded in 2020 and continues to inspire.
This last trend is also an example of the TikTok community celebrating the process or journey over the end result: rather than just showing off picture-perfect looks, TikTok users love to contrast the way they looked beforehand and the steps they took to get ready, highlighting the effort and skill that went into their transformation.
Transparency. Like mom said: Just be yourself. For brands, that means being your most human self--not a cold, faceless shopfront, but a team of real people sharing laughs, advice, looks, or workplace hijinks.
Similar values. TikTokers like to support brands that share their outlook on life, so let your purpose shine through.
Incentives. From special discounts to exclusive extras, giving users extra motivation to engage with your brand can yield big results.
Inspiration. TikTokers love it when brands put their personality and creativity on display in a way that’s helpful, enlightening, and entertaining.
Convenience. What’s the price? What’s the promo? TikTokers want to be able to find this information easily and to understand it at a glance.
Genuine partnerships. Authentic collaborations with TikTok creators feel effortless and natural—they just make sense. Check out TikTok Creator Marketplace to find the right fit for your brand.
TikTok’s discovery-based format is uniquely suited for fashion lovers who are searching for the freshest styles. And TikTok makes it easy for your brand to give them what they want: convenience, exclusive content, and an always-on presence for right-now inspiration.
As a fashion brand, you’re already ahead of the game. The same creativity and flair that fuels your business can make big waves on TikTok, where every video has the potential to go viral. When it comes to content, the right fit can connect you with TikTok’s global community of stylish shoppers—and generate a whole new audience for your brand.