Last modified: June 21, 2023
Last modified: June 21, 2023
These TikTok Developer Terms of Service (“Developer Terms”) govern your access to and use of TikTok Developer Services and any other products or services whose terms link to or otherwise incorporate these Developer Terms.
The Developer Terms supplement and hereby incorporate the TikTok For Business Commercial Terms of Service (“Commercial Terms”) which also apply to your use of TikTok Developer Services. Defined terms in the Commercial Terms have the same meaning in these Developer Terms. The TikTok Developer Services are Commercial Products for the purpose of the Commercial Terms, and these are Supplemental Terms.
Please read these Developer Terms carefully. BY CLICKING ACCEPT OR DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING, ACCESSING, USING OR OPERATING THE TIKTOK DEVELOPER SERVICES, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE DEVELOPER TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE DEVELOPER TERMS, DO NOT ACCESS OR USE THE TIKTOK DEVELOPER SERVICES.
1. Application: means the software applications, websites, channels, services, and other products that you create, distribute, promote, or operate using the TikTok Developer Services, together with their enhancements, upgrades, updates, new versions and other modifications and amendments.
2. Developer Content: means all information, data, content, items and materials in any form which are provided or made available, approved, or linked to by or on behalf of you or End Users, through your Application or the TikTok Developer Services, including any software, images, text, graphics, illustrations, affiliated names, brand identifiers, logos, trademarks, photographs, audio, videos, music and all related intellectual property rights related to them, including any third-party material, data or content contained therein, and Your Content includes Developer Content for the purposes of the Commercial Terms.
3. End Users: means users of your Applications.
4. TikTok API: means TikTok’s application programming interfaces (which includes, for the avoidance of doubt, webhook, call-back, and other interfaces, services, and mechanisms made available by TikTok which can be used to interact with the TikTok API), TikTok SDK, technology, software and any updates to the foregoing thereto that TikTok provides to you for the purpose of these Developer Terms (for the avoidance of doubt, the TikTok API is TikTok Commercial Technology for the purpose of the Commercial Terms).
5. TikTok Developer Documentation: means documentation, specifications, guidance, TikTok Sample Code, and other information and materials made available through the TikTok Developer Site.
6. TikTok Developer Services: means the TikTok Developer Site, TikTok Developer Documentation, and TikTok API.
7. TikTok Developer Site: means the TikTok website for developers normally accessible at developers.tiktok.com, as available and amended from time to time.
8. TikTok Sample Code: means sample code made available through the TikTok Developer Site and expressly described therein as sample code for use in your Applications.
9. TikTok SDK: means the software development kits (SDKs) expressly identified on the TikTok Developer Site as available for you to download and use in your Applications.
10. TikTok Services: means the Display Sites and TikTok’s other products and services, including without limitation to those offered via TikTok’s website (https://www.tiktok.com/) and TikTok’s mobile applications.
11. TikTok Information: TikTok Information means any content, data and other information made available to you (or End Users) through the TikTok API or by any other means authorized by TikTok, and any copies and derivative works thereof.
1. Licence. TikTok grants you a licence to use the TikTok Developer Services including the associated TikTok Commercial Content, as set out in the Commercial Terms, in accordance with the TikTok Developer Documentation. You may, solely as described in the TikTok Developer Documentation, and in accordance with these Developer Terms: (a) connect to and use the TikTok Developer Services in your Application; (b) use automated means in your Application to collect information from or otherwise interact with the TikTok Developer Services; (c) make TikTok Information available to End Users through your Application; (d) adapt and modify (but not redistribute other than in object-code form as part of your Application) TikTok Sample Code for use in your Application; (e) download and include within your Application (provided it is only distributed in object-code form as part of your Application) the TikTok SDK. Unless expressly agreed otherwise by TikTok in writing, TikTok Information made available through the TikTok Developer Services may only be made available to End Users on a personal, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, non-transferrable basis. You may use TikTok Information obtained through the TikTok Developer Services solely for the purpose of developing, maintaining, and supporting your Applications.
2. TikTok Logo. If the TikTok Developer Services include or require the use or display of the TikTok Logo, TikTok grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited, revocable license to display the TikTok Logo in or through your Application in accordance with TikTok’s Brand and Use Guidelines (as incorporated by the Commercial Terms) as amended from time to time.
3. TikTok Services. Your use of and interaction with TikTok Information and TikTok Services (and that of your End Users) is subject to and governed by the policies, guidelines and other terms and conditions (as updated from time to time) applicable to such use or access, including the TikTok Terms of Service. You and the Application will not encourage or create facility for your End Users or other third parties that violates these Developer Terms or any other terms, conditions or policies which apply to the TikTok Developer Services or TikTok Services.
4. Monitoring. You agree that TikTok may audit your Applications and monitor your use of the TikTok Developer Services for quality control purposes, to verify whether you comply with your obligations under these Developer Terms, and to maintain and improve the TikTok Developer Services. You agree that you will not interfere with such monitoring, and that you will use reasonable endeavours to assist TikTok with such audit or monitoring (for example, by providing TikTok with any information reasonably requested for the purposes of monitoring and understanding your use of the TikTok Developer Services and compliance with these Developer Terms, or to assist TikTok with fixing bugs or otherwise maintaining or improving the TikTok Developer Services).
1. Application. TikTok may require you to submit the Application for review and approval by TikTok prior to distribution to End Users. If you make any changes to the Application after approval by TikTok, you must resubmit the Application to TikTok. You agree to cooperate with TikTok in the submission process, provide all required information, and answer all questions reasonably requested by TikTok regarding your Application.
2. Reasonable Use. You must:
a) abide by all laws, rules and regulations applicable to your Application, the TikTok Developer Services, and TikTok Services;
b) comply at all times with these Developer Terms and with TikTok’s requirements, requests and policies (or those of any network connected to the TikTok Developer Services or TikTok Services);
c) make a complete and accurate disclosure to your End Users of the privacy practices and policies applicable to the Application that is compliant with applicable law and these Developer Terms;
d) ensure that the Application which you connect to the TikTok Developer Services is stable and easily navigable;
e) implement and maintain technical, physical, and administrative safeguards in accordance with these Developer Terms and the highest industry standards;
f) immediately disconnect with the TikTok Developer Services and TikTok Services in the event of your becoming aware of any compromise or deficiency in relation to your computer systems, networks, web-browsers or routers and report any such compromise or deficiency to TikTok immediately upon becoming aware of it;
g) if applicable, provide all necessary customer support for the Application to End Users.
3. General Restrictions. When accessing the TikTok Developer Services, you will not (or allow others to):
a) distribute, license, transfer, directly or indirectly sell, rent, syndicate, lend, copy, modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or otherwise alter, in whole or in part, the TikTok Developer Services, or TikTok Services or any derivative works thereof;
b) sublicense to any third party or permit any third party, without TikTok’s express written authorization, to browse, access or use the TikTok Developer Site, or any derivatives thereof;
c) use the TikTok Developer Services or TikTok Services, without TikTok’s express written consent, for any commercial or unauthorized purpose, including without limitation communicating or facilitating any commercial advertisement or solicitation or spamming;
d) use the TikTok Developer Services or TikTok Services in connection with or for any illegal, unauthorized or otherwise improper purposes, or in any manner which would violate any right of any person, including intellectual property rights, or breach any laws or regulations, or in any manner that is misleading, defamatory, infringing, libelous, disparaging, obscene or otherwise objectionable to TikTok;
e) use or combine the TikTok Developer Services with software offered under an open source license in such a way that would cause the TikTok Developer Services to be subject to any obligations under any such open source license;
f) use the TikTok Developer Services in a manner that violates any mobile developer or app store terms, conditions, guidelines, or policies;
g) use the TikTok Developer Services in a manner that (as determined by TikTok), exceeds reasonable request volume, constitutes excessive or abusive usage, or otherwise fails to comply with or is contradictory with any documentation, policies, these Developer Terms, or any other terms, conditions, or policies applicable to use of the TikTok Developer Services or TikTok Services;
h) collect or attempt to collect any personal data from TikTok users for any unauthorized or unlawful purpose or build, help build, or supplement any profiles, databases, or similar records on any individual, device, content, or browser or associate the behavior of any individual, device, content, or browser with any profile, databases, or similar record;
i) use the TikTok Developer Services for fraudulent or otherwise unlawful or unauthorized purposes, including but not limited to the development or promotion of spyware, adware or other malicious codes or programs or to defame or harass any person;
j) introduce viruses, malware, malicious code or other content of a harmful or destructive nature through the Application or your access or use of the TikTok Developer Services, including, but not limited to, failure to ensure adequate protection is installed on your devices and servers in accordance with industry practices;
k) use any robot, spider, site search or retrieval application, or other device to collect information about users of the TikTok Developer Services for any unauthorized purposes;
l) act in any way which could reasonably be expected to adversely impact the stability of TikTok’s servers or the behavior of other applications using the TikTok Developer Services;
m) interfere with or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the TikTok Developer Services or TikTok Services, disrupt our website or any networks connected to the TikTok Developer Services or TikTok Services, or bypass, circumvent or attempt to bypass or circumvent any measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the TikTok Developer Services or TikTok Services;
n) remove, obscure, or alter any legal, copyright, trademark or other proprietary notices in relation to the TikTok Services, TikTok Developer Services, (you must abide by TikTok’s requirements in relation to the use of any proprietary materials) or falsify or delete any author attributions, legal notices, or other labels of origins or source of material;
o) imply any inaccurate affiliation, sponsorship, or endorsement of you or the Application by TikTok;
p) use the TikTok Developer Services or TikTok Information to compete with or replicate any TikTok Services;
q) create a false identity on the TikTok Developer Site;
r) use TikTok Developer Services or TikTok Services in any manner that is not expressly authorized under these Developer Terms;
s) act in a manner that is likely to weaken, damage, or be detrimental to the reputation or goodwill associated with TikTok, the TikTok Services, or the TikTok Developer Services;
t) unless explicitly agreed otherwise in writing by TikTok, superimpose or otherwise include (or design your Application to do so) a brand name, logo, watermark or other promotional branding on or in any Developer Content submitted by End Users which is displayed or intended to be displayed on or through Display Sites.
4. Compliance. TikTok may audit you and the Application for compliance with these Developer Terms. You agree you will provide TikTok with proof that you and your Application comply with your obligations under these Terms.
5. Data Protection Addendum. To the extent that you receive TikTok Information that is also TikTok Personal Data (as defined in the TikTok Controller to Controller Data Terms), then you agree that the TikTok Controller to Controller Data Terms shall apply to such data sharing.
Subject to exclusions as set out in the Commercial Terms, all authentication procedures and data to which you gain access or which is provided to you in connection with your use of the TikTok Developer Services is the Confidential Information of TikTok.
You acknowledge and agree that TikTok may be independently creating applications and other products and services that may be similar or competitive with the Application and nothing in these Developer Terms will be construed as restricting or preventing TikTok from creating and fully exploiting such applications, products, or services with any obligation to you.
TikTok does not currently charge for use of the TikTok Developer Services; however, TikTok reserves the right to do so in the future, at its sole discretion. If TikTok decides to charge for the TikTok Developer Services, such charges will be disclosed to you prior to taking effect and if you do not wish to pay such charges, your sole and exclusive remedy is to cease use of TikTok Developer Services subject to those charges.
To the extent permitted by law, TikTok may suspend or terminate some or all TikTok Developer Services at any time with or without notice, for any reason, without liability to you. On termination all licenses granted by TikTok herein immediately expire, and you must immediately cease use of any and all TikTok Developer Services, and delete TikTok Confidential Information or TikTok Information obtained through TikTok Developer Services in all forms in your possession and control (including from our servers). Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, the following sections will survive any expiration or termination of these Developer Terms: Section III.4, IV, VII-X, and any other provision of the Developer Terms that contemplates a continuing obligation.
TO THE EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW YOUR USE OF THE TIKTOK DEVELOPER SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT RESULTS FROM YOUR OR ANY END USER’S USE OF THE TIKTOK DEVELOPER SERVICES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY DAMAGE TO COMPUTER SYSTEMS, LOSS OF DATA, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGE, SAVE FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY ARISING FROM OUR NEGLIGENCE.
TIKTOK IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, USEFULNESS, AVAILABILITY, SAFETY, OR LEGALITY OF TIKTOK INFORMATION, INCLUDING CONTENT THAT MAY BE OFFENSIVE, INDECENT, DEFMATORY, OBJECTIONABLE, OR THAT MAY VIOLATE THIRD PARTY RIGHTS OR APPLICABLE LAWS OR REGULATIONS.
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to hold harmless and indemnify TikTok, its subsidiaries, affiliates, licensors, licensees, assigns and successors, and each of their officers, directors, employee, agents, advisors and shareholders from and against any third-party claim, suit or action including any liability, losses, damages (actual and/or consequential), expenses, litigation costs and reasonable attorney fees, of every kind and nature arising from or in any way related to (a) actual or alleged breach of your obligations under these Developer Terms; (b) your use of TikTok Developer Services; (c) any Developer Content or data derived therefrom; or (d) the performance, promotion, sale or distribution of the Application. TikTok shall use reasonable endeavours to provide you with written notice of any such claim, suit, or action.
You agree to comply with all applicable laws and regulations in relation to export control, including those administered or enforced by the Bureau of Industry and Security of the U.S. Department of Commerce. You agree that you will not transfer any information or software you receive from TikTok that constitutes an export or transfer of controlled items, data or services, to include transfer to non-US persons employed by or associated with, or under contract to that party, without the authority of an export license, agreement or applicable exemption or exception.
You agree that TikTok may use your name, logo(s), or other identifying information or image in case studies, testimonials, examples, and to showcase your use of our TikTok Developer Services in general. You may not make any public statement regarding your relationship with TikTok or access to the TikTok Developer Services without TikTok’s prior written consent.