TIKTOK – Terms of Service
If you are a user having your usual residence in Germany, instead of the below this EULA exclusively shall apply. If your usual residence is in Russia, this EULA shall apply.
General Terms – All Users
1.Your Relationship With Us
Welcome to TikTok (the “Platform”), which is provided by Musical.ly, Inc., with registered office at 1920 Olympic Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA, or one of our affiliates that may be specified in the Supplemental Terms – Jurisdiction-Specific below to the extent you access the Services from a specific jurisdiction (collectively such entities will be referred to as “Bytedance”, “we” or “us”).
You are reading the terms of service (the “Terms”), which govern the relationship and serve as an agreement between you and us and set forth the terms and conditions by which you may access and use the Platform and our related websites, services, applications, products and content (collectively, the “Services”). Our Services are provided for private, non-commercial use. For purposes of these Terms, “you” and “your” means you as the user of the Services.
The Terms form a legally binding agreement between you and us. Please take the time to read them carefully.
2.Accepting the Terms
If you access or use the Services from within a jurisdiction for which there are separate supplemental terms, you also hereby agree to the supplemental terms applicable to users in each jurisdiction as outlined below, and in the event of a conflict between the provisions of the Supplemental Terms – Jurisdiction-Specific that are relevant to your jurisdiction from which you access or use the Services, and the rest of these Terms, the relevant jurisdictions’ Supplemental Terms – Jurisdiction-Specific will supersede and control. If you do not agree to these Terms, you must not access or use our Services.
If you are accessing or using the Services on behalf of a business or entity, then (a) “you” and “your” includes you and that business or entity, (b) you represent and warrant that you are an authorized representative of the business or entity with the authority to bind the entity to these Terms, and that you agree to these Terms on the entity’s behalf, and (c) your business or entity is legally and financially responsible for your access or use of the Services as well as for the access or use of your account by others affiliated with your entity, including any employees, agents or contractors.
You can accept the Terms by accessing or using our Services. You understand and agree that we will treat your access or use of the Services as acceptance of the Terms from that point onwards.
You should print off or save a local copy of the Terms for your records.
3.Changes to the Terms
We amend these Terms from time to time, for instance when we update the functionality of our Services, when we combine multiple apps or services operated by us or our affiliates into a single combined service or app, or when there are regulatory changes. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to provide reasonable notice to all users of any material changes to these Terms, such as through a notice on our Platform, however, you should look at the Terms regularly to check for such changes. We will also update the “Last Updated” date at the top of these Terms, which reflect the effective date of such Terms. Your continued access or use of the Services after the date of the new Terms constitutes your acceptance of the new Terms. If you do not agree to the new Terms, you must stop accessing or using the Services.
4.Your Account with Us
To access or use some of our Services, you must create an account with us. When you create this account, you must provide accurate and up-to-date information. It is important that you maintain and promptly update your details and any other information you provide to us, to keep such information current and complete.
It is important that you keep your account password confidential and that you do not disclose it to any third party. If you know or suspect that any third party knows your password or has accessed your account, you must promptly notify us at email@example.com.
You agree that you are solely responsible (to us and to others) for the activity that occurs under your account.
We reserve the right to disable your user account at any time, including if in our reasonable opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of these Terms, or if activities occur on your account which, in our sole discretion, would or might cause damage to or impair the Services or infringe or violate any third party rights, or violate any applicable laws or regulations.
If you no longer want to use our Services again, and would like your account deleted, we can take care of this for you. Please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will provide you with further assistance and guide you through the process. Please be minded that once you choose to delete your account, you will not be able to reactivate your account or retrieve any of the content or information you have added.
5.Your use of our services
Your access to and use of the Services is subject to these Terms and all applicable laws and regulations. You may not:
- access or use the Services if you are not over 13 or otherwise able to agree to these Terms;
- to the greatest extent permitted under applicable law, make unauthorised copies, modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile or create any derivative works based on the Services, including any files, tables or documentation (or any portion thereof) or determine or attempt to determine any source code, algorithms, methods or techniques embodied the Platform or any derivative works thereof;
- distribute, license, transfer, or sell, in whole or in part, any of the Services or any derivative works thereof;
- market, rent or lease the Services for a fee or charge, or use the Platform to advertise or perform any commercial solicitation; use the Services, without our express written consent, for any commercial or unauthorized purpose, including communicating or facilitating any commercial advertisement or solicitation or spamming;
- interfere with or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Services, disrupt our website or any networks connected to the Services, or bypass any measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Services;
- incorporate the Platform or any portion thereof into any other program or product. In such case, we reserve the right to refuse service, terminate accounts or limit access to the Services in our sole discretion;
- use automated scripts to collect information from or otherwise interact with the Services;
- impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent you or your affiliation with any person or entity, including giving the impression that any content you upload, post, transmit, distribute or otherwise make available emanates from the Services;
- intimidate or harass another, or promote sexually explicit material, violence or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- use or attempt to use another’s account, service or system without authorisation from Bytedance, or create a false identity on the Services;
- use the Services in a manner that may create a conflict of interest or undermine the purposes of the Services, such as trading reviews with other users or writing or soliciting shill reviews;
- use the Services to upload, transmit, distribute, store or otherwise make available in any way:files that contain viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful;any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, solicitations, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other prohibited form of solicitation;any private information of any third party, including addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, number and feature in the personal identity document (e.g., National Insurance numbers, passport numbers) or credit card numbers;any material which does or may infringe any copyright, trade mark or other intellectual property or privacy rights of any other person;any material which is defamatory of any person, obscene, offensive, pornographic, hateful or inflammatory;any material that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offence, dangerous activities or self-harm;any material that is deliberately designed to provoke or antagonise people, especially trolling and bullying, or is intended to harass, harm, hurt, scare, distress, embarrass or upset people;any material that contains a threat of any kind, including threats of physical violence;any material that is racist or discriminatory, including discrimination on the basis of someone’s race, religion, age, gender, disability or sexuality;any answers, responses, comments, opinions, analysis or recommendations that you are not properly licensed or otherwise qualified to provide;material that, in the sole judgment of Bytedance, is objectionable or which restricts or inhibits any other person from using the Services, or which may expose Bytedance, the Services or its users to any harm or liability of any type; or
In addition to the above, your access to and use of the Services must, at all times, be compliant with our Community Policy.
We reserve the right, at any time and without prior notice, to remove or disable access to content at our discretion for any reason or no reason. Some of the reasons we may remove or disable access to content may include finding the content objectionable, in violation of these Terms or our Community Policy, or otherwise harmful to the Services or our users.
6.Intellectual Property Rights
We respect intellectual property rights and ask you to do the same. As a condition of your access to and use of the Services, you agree not to use the Services to infringe on any intellectual property rights, for example, you must not upload any content owned by anyone else to the Platform. We reserve the right, with or without notice, at any time and in our sole discretion to block access to and/or terminate the accounts of any user who infringes or is alleged to infringe any copyrights or other intellectual property rights.
- Bytedance Content
- As between you and Bytedance, all content, software, images, text, graphics, illustrations, logos, patents, trademarks, service marks, copyrights, photographs, audio, videos, music on and “look and feel” of the Services, and all intellectual property rights related thereto (the “Bytedance Content”), are either owned or licensed by Bytedance, it being understood that you or your licensors will own any User Content (as defined below) you upload or transmit through the Services. Use of the Bytedance Content or materials on the Services for any purpose not expressly permitted by these Terms is strictly prohibited. Such content may not be downloaded, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed or otherwise exploited for any purpose whatsoever without our or, where applicable, our licensors’ prior written consent. We and our licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to their content.
- You acknowledge and agree that we may generate revenues, increase goodwill or otherwise increase our value from your use of the Services, including, by way of example and not limitation, through the sale of advertising, sponsorships, promotions, usage data and Gifts (defined below), and except as specifically permitted by us in these Terms or in another agreement you enter into with us, you will have no right to share in any such revenue, goodwill or value whatsoever. You further acknowledge that, except as specifically permitted by us in these Terms or in another agreement you enter into with us, you (i) have no right to receive any income or other consideration from any User Content (defined below) or your use of any musical works, sound recordings or audiovisual clips made available to you on or through the Services, including in any User Content created by you, and (ii) are prohibited from exercising any rights to monetize or obtain consideration from any User Content within the Services or on any third party service ( e.g. , you cannot claim User Content that has been uploaded to a social media platform such as YouTube for monetization).
- Subject to the terms and conditions of the Terms, you are hereby granted a non-exclusive, limited, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable, worldwide license to access and use the Services, including to download the Platform on a permitted device, and to access the Bytedance Content solely for your personal, non-commercial use through your use of the Services and solely in compliance with these Terms. Bytedance reserves all rights not expressly granted herein in the Services and the Bytedance Content. You acknowledge and agree that Bytedance may terminate this license at any time for any reason or no reason.
- NO RIGHTS ARE LICENSED WITH RESPECT TO SOUND RECORDINGS AND THE MUSICAL WORKS EMBODIED THEREIN THAT ARE MADE AVAILABLE FROM OR THROUGH THE SERVICE.
- You acknowledge and agree that when you view content provided by others on the Services, you are doing so at your own risk. The content on our Services is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our Services.
- We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that any Bytedance Content (including User Content) is accurate, complete or up to date. Where our Services contain links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them. You acknowledge that we have no obligation to pre-screen, monitor, review, or edit any content posted by you and other users on the Platform (including User Content).
- User-Generated Content
- Users of the Services may be permitted to upload, post or transmit (such as via a stream) or otherwise make available content through the Services including, without limitation, any text, photographs, user videos, sound recordings and the musical works embodied therein, including videos that incorporate locally stored sound recordings from your personal music library and ambient noise (“User Content”). Users of the Services may also extract all or any portion of User Content created by another user to produce additional User Content, including collaborative User Content with other users, that combine and intersperse User Content generated by more than one user. Users of the Services may also overlay music, graphics, stickers, Virtual Items (as defined and further explained in the “SUPPLEMENTAL TERMS – VIRTUAL ITEMS POLICY “) and other elements provided by Bytedance (“Bytedance Elements”) onto this User Content and transmit this User Content through the Services. The information and materials in the User Content, including User Content that includes Bytedance Elements, have not been verified or approved by us. The views expressed by other users on the Services (including through use of the virtual gifts) do not represent our views or values.
- Whenever you access or use a feature that allows you to upload or transmit User Content through the Services (including via certain third party social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter), or to make contact with other users of the Services, you must comply with the standards set out at Section 5 above. You may also choose to upload or transmit your User Content, including User Content that includes Bytedance Elements, on sites or platforms hosted by third parties. If you decide to do this, you must comply with their content guidelines as well as with the standards set out in this Section 7 above.
- You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty. This means you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of warranty.
- Any User Content will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You must not post any User Content on or through the Services or transmit to us any User Content that you consider to be confidential or proprietary. When you submit User Content through the Services, you agree and represent that you own that User Content, or you have received all necessary permissions, clearances from, or are authorised by, the owner of any part of the content to submit it to the Services, to transmit it from the Services to other third party platforms, and/or adopt any third party content.
- If you only own the rights in and to a sound recording, but not to the underlying musical works embodied in such sound recordings, then you must not post such sound recordings to the Services unless you have all permissions, clearances from, or are authorised by, the owner of any part of the content to submit it to the Services .
- You or the owner of your User Content still own the copyright in User Content sent to us, but by submitting User Content via the Services, you hereby grant us an unconditional irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully transferable, perpetual worldwide licence to use, modify, adapt, reproduce, make derivative works of, publish and/or transmit, and/or distribute and to authorise others users of the Services and other third-parties to view, access, use, download, modify, adapt, reproduce, make derivative works of, publish and/or transmit your User Content in any format and on any platform, either now known or hereinafter invented.
- You further grant us a royalty-free license to use your user name, image, voice, and likeness to identify you as the source of any of your User Content.
- For the avoidance of doubt, the rights granted in the preceding paragraphs of this Section include, but are not limited to, the right to reproduce sound recordings (and make mechanical reproductions of the musical works embodied in such sound recordings), and publicly perform and communicate to the public sound recordings (and the musical works embodied therein), all on a royalty-free basis. This means that you are granting us the right to Use your User Content without the obligation to pay royalties to any third party, including, but not limited to, a sound recording copyright owner ( e.g. , a record label), a musical work copyright owner ( e.g. , a music publisher), a performing rights organization ( e.g. , ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, etc.) (a “ PRO ”), a sound recording PRO (e.g. , SoundExchange), any unions or guilds, and engineers, producers or other royalty participants involved in the creation of User Content.
Specific Rules for Musical Works and for Recording Artists .If you are a composer or author of a musical work and are affiliated with a [PRO], then you must notify your PRO of the royalty-free license you grant through these Terms in your User Content to us. You are solely responsible for ensuring your compliance with the relevant PRO’s reporting obligations. If you have assigned your rights to a music publisher, then you must obtain the consent of such music publisher to grant the royalty-free license(s) set forth in these Terms in your User Content or have such music publisher enter into these Terms with us. Just because you authored a musical work ( e.g. , wrote a song) does not mean you have the right to grant us the licenses in these Terms. If you are a recording artist under contract with a record label, then you are solely responsible for ensuring that your use of the Services is in compliance with any contractual obligations you may have to your record label, including if you create any new recordings through the Services that may be claimed by your label.
Through-To-The-Audience Rights.All of the rights you grant in your User Content in these Terms are provided on a through-to-the-audience basis, meaning the owners or operators of third party services will not have any separate liability to you or any other third party for User Content posted or used on such third party service via the Services.
Waiver of Rights to User Content.By posting User Content to or through the Services, you waive any rights to prior inspection or approval of any marketing or promotional materials related to such User Content. You also waive any and all rights of privacy, publicity, or any other rights of a similar nature in connection with your User Content, or any portion thereof. To the extent any moral rights are not transferable or assignable, you hereby waive and agree never to assert any and all moral rights, or to support, maintain or permit any action based on any moral rights that you may have in or with respect to any User Content you Post to or through the Services.
In certain circumstances, we also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any User Content posted or uploaded by you to our Services constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
We, or authorised third parties, reserve the right to cut, crop, edit or refuse to publish, your content at our or their sole discretion. We have the right to remove, disallow, block or delete any posting you make on our Platform if, in our opinion, your post does not comply with the content standards set out at Section 5 (Your Use of Our Services) above. In addition, we have the right – but not the obligation – in our sole discretion to remove, disallow, block or delete any User Content (i) that we consider to violate these Terms, or (ii) in response to complaints from other users or third parties, with or without notice and without any liability to you. As a result, we recommend that you save copies of any User Content that you post to the Services on your personal device(s) in the event that you want to ensure that you have permanent access to copies of such User Content. We do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, appropriateness or quality of any User Content, and under no circumstances will we be liable in any way for any User Content.
You control whether your User Content is made publicly available on the Services to all other users of the Services or only available to people you approve. To change the default access setting for how your User Content is made available to other users, you should select the privacy setting available within the Apps.
We accept no liability in respect of any content submitted by users and published by us or by authorised third parties.
If you wish to complain about information and materials uploaded by other users please contact us at email@example.com.
Bytedance takes reasonable measures to expeditiously remove from our Services any infringing material that we become aware of. It is Bytedance’s policy, in appropriate circumstances and at its discretion, to disable or terminate the accounts of users of the Services who repeatedly infringe copyrights or intellectual property rights of others.
While our own staff is continually working to develop and evaluate our own product ideas and features, we pride ourselves on paying close attention to the interests, feedback, comments, and suggestions we receive from the user community. If you choose to contribute by sending us or our employees any ideas for products, services, features, modifications, enhancements, content, refinements, technologies, content offerings (such as audio, visual, games, or other types of content), promotions, strategies, or product/feature names, or any related documentation, artwork, computer code, diagrams, or other materials (collectively “ Feedback ”), then regardless of what your accompanying communication may say, the following terms will apply, so that future misunderstandings can be avoided. Accordingly, by sending Feedback to us , you agree that:
- we have no obligation to review, consider, or implement your Feedback, or to return to you all or part of any Feedback for any reason;
- Feedback is provided on a non-confidential basis, and we are not under any obligation to keep any Feedback you send confidential or to refrain from using or disclosing it in any way;
- and You irrevocably grant us perpetual and unlimited permission to reproduce, distribute, create derivative works of, modify, publicly perform (including on a through-to-the-audience basis), communicate to the public, make available, publicly display, and otherwise use and exploit the Feedback and derivatives thereof for any purpose and without restriction, free of charge and without attribution of any kind, including by making, using, selling, offering for sale, importing, and promoting commercial products and services that incorporate or embody Feedback, whether in whole or in part, and whether as provided or as modified.
You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Bytedance, its parents, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, agents and advisors from any and all claims, liabilities, costs, and expenses, including, but not limited to, attorneys’ fees and expenses, arising out of a breach by you or any user of your account of these Terms or arising out of a breach of your obligations, representation and warranties under these Terms.
9.EXCLUSION OF WARRANTIES
NOTHING IN THESE TERMS SHALL AFFECT ANY STATUTORY RIGHTS THAT YOU CANNOT CONTRACTUALLY AGREE TO ALTER OR WAIVE AND ARE LEGALLY ALWAYS ENTITLED TO AS A CONSUMER.
THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND WE MAKE NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION TO YOU WITH RESPECT TO THEM. IN PARTICULAR WE DO NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT TO YOU THAT:
- YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS;
- YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR FREE FROM ERROR;
- ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED BY YOU AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE; AND
- DEFECTS IN THE OPERATION OR FUNCTIONALITY OF ANY SOFTWARE PROVIDED TO YOU AS PART OF THE SERVICES WILL BE CORRECTED.
NO CONDITIONS, WARRANTIES OR OTHER TERMS (INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED TERMS AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR PURPOSE OR CONFORMANCE WITH DESCRIPTION) APPLY TO THE SERVICES EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT THAT THEY ARE EXPRESSLY SET OUT IN THE TERMS. WE MAY CHANGE, SUSPEND, WITHDRAW OR RESTRICT THE AVAILABILITY OF ALL OR ANY PART OF OUR PLATFORM FOR BUSINESS AND OPERATIONAL REASONS AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE
10.LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
NOTHING IN THESE TERMS SHALL EXCLUDE OR LIMIT OUR LIABILITY FOR LOSSES WHICH MAY NOT BE LAWFULLY EXCLUDED OR LIMITED BY APPLICABLE LAW. THIS INCLUDES LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY OUR NEGLIGENCE OR THE NEGLIGENCE OF OUR EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR SUBCONTRACTORS AND FOR FRAUD OR FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATION.
- SUBJECT TO THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE, WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR:(I) ANY LOSS OF PROFIT (WHETHER INCURRED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY); (II) ANY LOSS OF GOODWILL; (III) ANY LOSS OF OPPORTUNITY; (IV) ANY LOSS OF DATA SUFFERED BY YOU; OR (V) ANY INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES WHICH MAY BE INCURRED BY YOU. ANY OTHER LOSS WILL BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT PAID BY YOU TO BYTEDANCE WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS.ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE WHICH MAY BE INCURRED BY YOU AS A RESULT OF:ANY RELIANCE PLACED BY YOU ON THE COMPLETENESS, ACCURACY OR EXISTENCE OF ANY ADVERTISING, OR AS A RESULT OF ANY RELATIONSHIP OR TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND ANY ADVERTISER OR SPONSOR WHOSE ADVERTISING APPEARS ON THE SERVICE;ANY CHANGES WHICH WE MAY MAKE TO THE SERVICES, OR FOR ANY PERMANENT OR TEMPORARY CESSATION IN THE PROVISION OF THE SERVICES (OR ANY FEATURES WITHIN THE SERVICES);THE DELETION OF, CORRUPTION OF, OR FAILURE TO STORE, ANY CONTENT AND OTHER COMMUNICATIONS DATA MAINTAINED OR TRANSMITTED BY OR THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES;YOUR FAILURE TO PROVIDE US WITH ACCURATE ACCOUNT INFORMATION; ORYOUR FAILURE TO KEEP YOUR PASSWORD OR ACCOUNT DETAILS SECURE AND CONFIDENTIAL.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ONLY PROVIDE OUR PLATFORM FOR DOMESTIC AND PRIVATE USE. YOU AGREE NOT TO USE OUR PLATFORM FOR ANY COMMERCIAL OR BUSINESS PURPOSES, AND WE HAVE NO LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OF PROFIT, LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS OF GOODWILL OR BUSINESS REPUTATION, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, OR LOSS OF BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY.
IF DEFECTIVE DIGITAL CONTENT THAT WE HAVE SUPPLIED DAMAGES A DEVICE OR DIGITAL CONTENT BELONGING TO YOU AND THIS IS CAUSED BY OUR FAILURE TO USE REASONABLE CARE AND SKILL, WE WILL EITHER REPAIR THE DAMAGE OR PAY YOU COMPENSATION. HOWEVER, WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGE THAT YOU COULD HAVE AVOIDED BY FOLLOWING OUR ADVICE TO APPLY AN UPDATE OFFERED TO YOU FREE OF CHARGE OR FOR DAMAGE THAT WAS CAUSED BY YOU FAILING TO CORRECTLY FOLLOW INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS OR TO HAVE IN PLACE THE MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ADVISED BY US.
THESE LIMITATIONS ON OUR LIABILITY TO YOU SHALL APPLY WHETHER OR NOT WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF OR SHOULD HAVE BEEN AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY SUCH LOSSES ARISING.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MOBILE CHARGES THAT MAY APPLY TO YOUR USE OF OUR SERVICE, INCLUDING TEXT-MESSAGING AND DATA CHARGES. IF YOU’RE UNSURE WHAT THOSE CHARGES MAY BE, YOU SHOULD ASK YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER BEFORE USING THE SERVICE.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ANY DISPUTE YOU HAVE WITH ANY THIRD PARTY ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, INCLUDING, BY WAY OF EXAMPLE AND NOT LIMITATION, ANY CARRIER, COPYRIGHT OWNER OR OTHER USER, IS DIRECTLY BETWEEN YOU AND SUCH THIRD PARTY, AND YOU IRREVOCABLY RELEASE US AND OUR AFFILIATES FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, DEMANDS AND DAMAGES (ACTUAL AND CONSEQUENTIAL) OF EVERY KIND AND NATURE, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH SUCH DISPUTES.
Applicable Law and Jurisdiction for users in the European Union. These Terms, their subject matter and their formation, are governed by the laws of Singapore subject only to any mandatory provisions of consumer law in the country in which you reside. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods as well as any other similar law, regulation or statute in effect in any other jurisdiction shall not apply. You and TikTok irrevocably agree that the courts of the country in which you reside shall have non-exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of or in connection with this Agreement or its subject matter or formation. Alternatively, you may raise the dispute with an alternative dispute resolution body via the EU Commission’s Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) Platform.
- Open Source. The Apps contain certain open source software. Each item of open source software is subject to its own applicable license terms, which can be found at Open Source Policy.
- Entire Agreement.These Terms (including the Supplemental Terms below) constitute the whole legal agreement between you and Bytedance and govern your use of the Services and completely replace any prior agreements between you and Bytedance in relation to the Services.
- Links. You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it. You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists. You must not establish a link to our Platform in any website that is not owned by you. The website in which you are linking must comply in all respects with the content standards set out at Section 5 (Your Use of Our Services) above. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
- Age Limit.The Platform is only for people 13 years old and over unless they have the consent of a parent or legal guardian. By using the Platform, you confirm that you are over the relevant age specified above. If we learn that someone under the relevant age specified above is using the Platform, we will terminate that user’s account. In addition, if you are under the relevant age specified above, you confirm that you possess legal parental or guardian consent for accessing or using the Platform, and are fully able and competent to enter into, abide by, and comply with the Terms
- No Waiver. Our failure to insist upon or enforce any provision of these Terms shall not be construed as a waiver of any provision or right.
- Security. We do not guarantee that our Platform will be secure or free from bugs or viruses. You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access our Platform. You should use your own virus protection software.
- Severability.If any court of law, having jurisdiction to decide on this matter, rules that any provision of these Terms is invalid, then that provision will be removed from the Terms without affecting the rest of the Terms, and the remaining provisions of the Terms will continue to be valid and enforceable.
- Any Questions?Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Supplemental Terms – App Stores
To the extent permitted by applicable law, the following supplemental terms shall apply:
Notice regarding Apple. By accessing the Platform through a device made by Apple, Inc. (“Apple”), you specifically acknowledge and agree that:
- These Terms between Bytedance and you; Apple is not a party to these Terms.
- The license granted to you hereunder is limited to a personal, limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable right to install the Platform on the Apple device(s) authorised by Apple that you own or control for personal, non-commercial use, subject to the Usage Rules set forth in Apple’s App Store Terms of Services.
- Apple is not responsible for the Platform or the content thereof and has no obligation whatsoever to furnish any maintenance or support services with respect to the Platform.
- In the event of any failure of the Platform to conform to any applicable warranty, you may notify Apple, and Apple will refund the purchase price for the Platform, if any, to you. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Apple will have no other warranty obligation whatsoever with respect to the Platform.
- Apple is not responsible for addressing any claims by you or a third party relating to the Platform or your possession or use of the Platform, including without limitation (a) product liability claims; (b) any claim that the Platform fails to conform to any applicable legal or regulatory requirement; and (c) claims arising under consumer protection or similar legislation.
- In the event of any third party claim that the Platform or your possession and use of the Platform infringes such third party’s intellectual property rights, Apple is not responsible for the investigation, defence, settlement or discharge of such intellectual property infringement claim.
- You represent and warrant that (a) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a “terrorist supporting” country; and (b) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties.
- Apple and its subsidiaries are third party beneficiaries of these Terms and upon your acceptance of the terms and conditions of these Terms, Apple will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce these Terms against you as a third party beneficiary hereof.
- Bytedance expressly authorises use of the Platform by multiple users through the Family Sharing or any similar functionality provided by Apple.
Windows Phone Store.By downloading the Platform from the Windows Phone Store (or its successors) operated by Microsoft, Inc. or its affiliates, you specifically acknowledge and agree that:
- You may install and use one copy of the Platform on up to five (5) Windows Phone enabled devices that are affiliated with the Microsoft account you use to access the Windows Phone Store. Beyond that, we reserve the right to apply additional conditions or charge additional fees.
- You acknowledge that Microsoft Corporation, your phone manufacturer and network operator have no obligation whatsoever to furnish any maintenance and support services with respect to the Platform.
Amazon Appstore. By downloading the Platform from the Amazon Appstore (or its successors) operated by Amazon Digital Services, Inc. or affiliates (“Amazon”), you specifically acknowledge and agree that:
- Amazon does not have any responsibility or liability related to compliance or non-compliance by Bytedance or you (or any other user) under these Terms or the Amazon Appstore EULA Terms.
Google Play.By downloading the Platform from Google Play (or its successors) operated by Google, Inc. or one of its affiliates (“Google”), you specifically acknowledge and agree that:
- to the extent of any conflict between (a) the Google Play Terms of Services and the Google Play Business and Program Policies or such other terms which Google designates as default end user license terms for Google Play (all of which together are referred to as the “Google Play Terms”), and (b) the other terms and conditions in these Terms, the Google Play Terms shall apply with respect to your use of the Platform that you download from Google Play, and
- you hereby acknowledge that Google does not have any responsibility or liability related to compliance or non-compliance by Bytedance or you (or any other user) under these Terms or the Google Play Terms.
Supplemental Terms – Virtual Items Policy
The TikTok Diamond Program (the “Program”) is open to all users of the Services and is subject to the following terms and conditions of this Virtual Items Policy. We may make the following products and incentives available to you on our Platform from time to time.
- COINSAny user of our Services may purchase virtual “coins” (“Coins”) from us using authorised payment methods provided by Apple or Google. All charges and payments for Coins will be made in the currency specified at the point of purchase through the relevant payment mechanism. Currency exchange settlements, foreign transaction fees and payment channel fees, if any, are based on your agreement with the applicable payment provider. The price of the Coins will be displayed at the point of purchase. You will be responsible for the payment of any Coins purchased by you.Once your purchase has been completed, your user account will be credited with Coins.[If you live in the European Union, our acceptance of your order will take place when we email you to accept it, at which point a contract will come into existence between you and us. If you wish to make changes to your purchase, please contact us. We will let you know if this change is possible. Please note that changes may impact price as well as other aspects of the product. You have certain rights to withdraw from a purchase under the Consumer Rights Directive and its implementing legislation. However, if you purchase Coins, you acknowledge and agree that we start supplying the Coins to you promptly once the purchase is complete and therefore, your right to cancel or withdraw from the agreement to purchase is lost at this point.]Coins cannot be exchanged for cash, or legal tender, or currency of any state, region, or any political entity, or any other form of credit. Coins can only be used on our Platform and as part of our Services, and cannot be combined or used in conjunction with other promotions, coupons, discounts or special offers, except those designated by us.No Coins may be assigned or transferred to any other user of the Services or third party except as expressly permitted by Bytedance in writing. The sale, barter, assignment or other disposal of any Coins, other than by Bytedance, is expressly prohibited. Accrued Coins do not constitute property and are not transferable: (a) upon death; (b) as part of a domestic relations matter; or (c) otherwise by operation of law. Any Coins assigned, sold, or otherwise transferred without the express written consent of Bytedance are void. Any user of the Services who violates the foregoing restriction is subject to the termination of account with Bytedance, forfeiture of Coins from his or her account, and/or liability for damages and litigation and transaction costs.All Coins of a user will expire automatically upon termination of such user’s account for any reason.You agree that we have the absolute right to manage, regulate, control, modify and/or eliminate such Coins[, where we have a valid reason to do so,] in any general or specific case, and that we will have no liability to you based on its exercise of such right.If you have any problems with the purchase of Coins, please contact us at email@example.com.
- GIFTSVirtual gifts of the Program (“Gifts”) constitute a limited license right for you to certain feature of digital products and Services of the Services. You may exchange your Coins for various Gifts. The exchange rate between each Coin and Gift will be displayed on our Platform at the point of exchange. Published prices do not include taxes (and, to the extent required by applicable laws in your jurisdiction, shall include taxes). If any Gifts are subject to sales tax in any jurisdiction and you have not paid the applicable sales tax to us, then you will be responsible for the payment of such sales tax and any related penalties or interest to the relevant tax authority. You agree that we have the absolute right to manage, regulate, control, modify and/or eliminate such exchange rate as we see fit in our sole discretion, in any general or specific case, and that we will have no liability to you based on our exercise of such right.[If you live in the European Union, our acceptance of your order will take place when we email you to accept it, at which point a contract will come into existence between you and us. If you wish to make changes to your purchase, please contact us. We will let you know if this change is possible. Please note that changes may impact price as well as other aspects of the product.]All sales of Gifts are final and we do not offer refunds for any purchased Gifts.When you have exchanged your Coins for Gifts, such Coins will have been used up in your user account. Instead, your user account will be credited with Gifts. Gifts cannot be converted into or exchanged for Coins or cash, or be refunded or reimbursed by us for any reason.Gifts exchanged or received by any User do not constitute property and are not transferable: (a) upon death; (b) as part of a domestic relations matter; or (c) otherwise by operation of law.Bytedance may replace previously exchanged copies of Gifts, if we determine in our sole discretion that the Gifts exchanged or received by a user is corrupted or otherwise damaged. We will not charge additional fee for reissuing a corrupted or otherwise damaged Gift. If you receive a corrupted or otherwise damaged Gift, then please conduct us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Bytedance reserves the right to terminate, in its sole and absolute discretion, the account of any User that is deemed to be abusing this provision.In relation to a live stream product, you may contribute your Gifts to rate or show your appreciation for an item of User Content that is uploaded or streamed by another user (“Content Provider”). When this functionality is available on the Services, you can contribute Gifts to User Content by clicking the “Give Gift” button below the relevant User Content. When you have contributed a Gift to an item of User Content, this Gift will have been used up in your account, and converted into Diamond (as defined and further explained below) in the Content Provider’s account.Please note that when you give a Gift to another user you do so publically so other users on the Services (including the recipient of the Gift) can see your name, user ID and the details of the Gift that you gave. [By giving a Gift, you consent to this information being made available in this manner.]If you have any problems with Gifts, please contact us at email@example.com.
- DIAMONDSIn a live stream product, a Content Provider will be entitled to earn virtual credit (“Diamond”) based on the Gifts he/she receives, as a measurement by us on the popularity of the relevant User Content, at a rate of conversion to be determined by Bytedance from time to time in its absolute and sole discretion. For purposes of clarity, users cannot purchase Diamonds.No Diamonds may be assigned or transferred to any other user of the Services or third party except as expressly permitted by Bytedance in writing. Diamonds cannot be exchanged for Coins or Gifts. The sale, barter, assignment, exchange, transfer or other disposal of any Diamonds, other than by Bytedance, is expressly prohibited. Accrued Diamonds do not constitute property and are not transferable: (a) upon death; (b) as part of a domestic relations matter; or (c) otherwise by operation of law. Any Diamonds assigned, sold, or otherwise transferred without the express written consent of Bytedance are void. Any user of the Services who violates the foregoing restriction is subject to the termination of account with Bytedance, forfeiture of Diamonds from his or her account, and/or liability for damages and litigation and transaction costs.You agree that Bytedance has the absolute right to manage, regulate, control, modify and/or eliminate such Diamonds as it sees fit in its sole discretion, in any general or specific case, and that Bytedance will have no liability to you based on its exercise of such right.At any point, a Content Provider can see how much Diamond he/she has accrued on a real-time basis by checking their user account.A Content Provider can choose, by selecting the relevant options in their user account, to withdraw Diamond in exchange for monetary compensation (to be denominated in US dollars). The applicable monetary compensation will be calculated by us based on various factors including the amount of a user’s Diamond. The withdrawal of Diamond will be subject to the following terms and any additional information provided in the Withdrawal Instructions that are provided to you at the time of such withdrawal, including the applicable daily limits on withdrawal amounts:the rate of withdrawal will be displayed at the point of withdrawal. You agree that we have the absolute right to manage, regulate, control, modify and/or eliminate such withdrawal feature as we see fit in our sole discretion, in any general or specific case, and that we will have no liability to you based on our exercise of such right;the applicable cash payment will be made directly into your nominated PayPal account or other third-party payment channel account (if applicable). Your first and last name needs to be an exact match to your PayPal account information and your PayPal account needs to be verified. It is your responsibility to ensure that you provide your PayPal (or other payment channel) account information correctly. You are responsible for any losses caused by incorrect PayPal (or other payment channel) account information provided by you. Payment will not be sent to a PayPal account with an email address, a first and last name different from what appears on your account, and an account that has not been verified with PayPal;we may, at our sole discretion, request you to provide information to verify your identity (including your first and last name and your state ID number). We reserve the right to verify your identity (by requesting a photocopy of your state ID card, or other proof as we may require) and eligibility qualifications to our satisfaction prior to making any payment; andany withdrawal request to be fulfilled to users under the age of 18 may be, at our sole discretion, fulfilled in the name of the user’s parent or legal guardian (subject to evidence of such relationship and relevant identities being verified if required by us in our sole discretion).Although we aim to fulfil all withdrawal requests in a timely manner, we do not guarantee fulfilment within a specific period of time (including any estimated timings set out at the time of withdrawal) and we will not be liable to you or any third party for any failure to fulfil a withdrawal request within such time.If you wish to convert the amount into a currency other than USD, this option may be available within your PayPal (or other payment channel if applicable) account but this is at the discretion of PayPal (or other payment channel if applicable) and the terms and conditions of PayPal (or other payment channel if applicable), including any applicable fees, will apply to such currency conversion.If you are subject to any taxes imposed by any jurisdiction on these payments, you will be responsible for the payment of such taxes (including any related penalties or interest) to the relevant tax authority. We reserve the right to deduct any applicable taxes prior to making such payment if we determine that we are required to do so by applicable law. We also reserve the right to request certifications from you in relation to taxes and to report to tax authorities amounts paid and/or withheld from payments to you.We reserve the right to deduct Diamond from your account if you are in breach of these Terms. We may cancel the operation of the Diamond incentive at any time [on reasonable notice or, if there is a valid reason for our cancellation, on limited or no notice.] [If we cancel the Diamond incentive, you shall have no right or entitlement to any financial compensation in respect of any Diamond accrued prior to the date of cancellation of the initiative that has not been converted into cash using the mechanism set out in these Terms.]If you have any problems with Diamonds, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may cancel your account at any time, and Bytedance may terminate your account in accordance with the Terms. All the Coins, Gifts or Diamonds in your account will be forfeited immediately upon the cancellation or termination of your account. There will be no refunds for any unused or unredeemed Coins, Gifts or Diamonds or any prepaid fees for any portion of the Services.